Your Quick Guide to Six Sigma Black Belt Certification
If you’re interested in lean six sigma and process improvement, you have probably wondered about the different six sigma belts and the certifications that accompany them.
A six sigma black belt certification underlines the knowledge and expertise achieved by the certification holder.
It states that this person has the skill and capability to perform the role of a six sigma black belt successfully.
What is a Six Sigma Black Belt?
Belts signify the level of experience, skill, and training someone has with lean six sigma.
The belt system begins with white belts, who have a basic general knowledge about lean six sigma. It then progresses to yellow, green, and black levels.
Yellow belts have a good foundation in lean six sigma and can assist in process improvement projects run by green and black belts.
Green belts have a strong understanding of how to implement lean six sigma techniques and run green belt level projects.
Black belts take process improvement to a different level.
While they do run high-achieving process improvement projects, they also look at a business from a broader perspective. They are cross-functional personnel who drive process improvement at an organisational level.
Who achieves a Six Sigma Black Belt Certification?
To be ready for achieving a black belt certification, you will need to have significant experience working with and delivering results through lean six sigma.
Most, though not all candidates will have already gained a six sigma green belt. This is not essential for black belt candidates; it is simply a frequent occurrence.
They have also carried out several process improvement initiatives to put their knowledge into practice before they consider moving to a black belt level.
Choosing the Right Certification
A quick online search will bring up many different types of six sigma black belt certification programmes and training courses.
Choosing the right certification for your needs is a very personal process.
The best known are the ASQ Certified Six Sigma Black Belt (CSSBB) and IASSC Lean Six Sigma Black Belt. Both are internationally recognised and respected; both excellent choices for any prospective black belt candidate.
Many different providers offer these and other six sigma black belt certifications.
Although ASQ is slightly better known, there is no “best” choice between these qualifications. Once a training provider is offering a path to one of these awards, you are covered for a credible international certification.
Finding the Best Programme
Once you have decided on the right certification for your needs, we recommend looking at what the training programme offers.
There are several quick, self-led online options that will earn a piece of paper stating you are a qualified six sigma black belt.
This may be suitable for those who have vast experience and confidence with process improvement initiatives – in essence, those who are informally already carrying out the black belt role.
For most practitioners, a more in-depth, practical approach to training and certification is preferable.
To support you in both developing the knowledge and skills you need to perform the role of a six sigma black belt and preparing you to pass the exam for your certification, look for a training programme that offers:
- Active learning: practical application to your own project work, where possible.
- Time to absorb and study: black belt certification programmes should take time. Look for one that has breaks between training modules that allow you time to review what you have learned and study the material.
- Exam Preparation: Seek a course that blends the exam preparation with active learning. Things like sample exam questions and answers, application tips, and access to an online exam question bank are invaluable for your study process.
- Credibility: When considering a course, find out about the kind of experience your trainer has earned. It’s also reassuring to verify the provider’s credentials and track record in this area.
A six sigma black belt certification isn’t a quick win. It is a considered, strategic career move. Take your time to find the training and certification that will enhance your career.
Our 14-day programme runs over 5 months in short, intensive instalments. It’s an excellent option for anyone seeking confidence at black belt level and respected international certification.
- Our programme leads to an ASQ Certified Six Sigma Black Belt certification.
- It balances necessary theoretical learning with active, practical application.
- Each instalment is 2 or 3 days in length, with several weeks between instalments for study and application of learning to a project.
- We include a 365-day access to official ASQ exam question banks for each participant.
- It is suitable for attendees from all sectors, covering versatile techniques that can be applied in any environment.
You can learn more about this programme, get upcoming dates, and download a PDF programme brochure over at our Six Sigma Black Belt Course page.